If you have been injured on the job here in Georgia, there are some very important details that you need to know about workers' compensation law.
First, let's define exactly what workers' compensation is.
According to the Georgia State Board of Workers' Compensation:
"Workers' compensation is an accident insurance program paid by your employer which may provide you with medical, rehabilitation and income benefits if you are injured on the job. These benefits are provided to help you return to work. It also provides benefits to your dependents if you die as a result of a job related injury."
Before we talk about whether or not you need a Georgia workers' compensation lawyer, let's discuss some important things you need to know if you have been injured on the job.
- You must report the accident to your employer within 30 days of it occurring, or you could lose benefits
- The law requires any business with three or more workers, including regular part-time workers, to have workers' compensation insurance
- Your employer is required to post information identifying medical care providers
There are many reasons why you should hire an attorney to represent you in your workers' compensation claim. Here are a few:
- If you have serious injuries and are not sure how the law applies to your specific case
- If medical care is discouraged or not provided when you feel you need it
- If you are denied coverage or are not receiving medical compensation (you should receive a Form-WC1 if you are being denied coverage)
Lawyers that specialize in workers' compensation claims will know how to navigate the process specific to your injuries. The goal of any lawyer should be to get you the treatment you need so that you can begin healing to the best of your ability as quickly as possible.
Please contact The Law Offices of Gary Martin Hays & Associates if you have any questions about your Georgia workers' compensation claim. Our specialized lawyers are here to help. Call today for your FREE consultation: (770) 934-8000 or toll free 1(888) 934-8100