Image of Gary Martin Hays

Atlanta, Savannah, & All of Georgia

Personal Injury Attorney

Call 1-800-898-HAYS (4297)

Rape Reported on UGA Campus

The Red & Black is reporting that an unknown victim reported a rape from inside Russell Hall on August 18, 2013, at the University of Georgia. The rape was reported by the victim to an employee of the UGA housing staff. The victim was not interested in talking with the police, according to the University police report.

Since March 2013, this is the sixth reported rape that has involved someone affiliated with UGA in Athens. The Red & Black is also reporting that of those 6 reported rapes, four involved UGA students and two listed employees of the University as the suspect.

Notes from the police report:

This particular case is considered an acquaintance rape. Our Atlanta personal injury lawyers know these make up 85% of all rape cases. The other 15% occur when the victim does not know the aggressor. The other 15% of rapes and sexual assaults occur in places like parking lots, parking decks, hotels or apartment complexes that are open to the public. Cases of this nature are considered premises liability cases when the property owner has neglected to take action to keep his or her patrons safe.

Given the most recent reports of rapes on college campuses, Gary Martin Hays, managing partner at the Law Offices of Gary Martin Hays & Associates, offers these 7 tips to help stay safe if you live on a college campus:

  1. Always travel with a friend
  2. Go on double dates during the early phases of dating
  3. Never leave your drink unattended or take a drink from a stranger
  4. Do NOT drink to get drunk
  5. Request an escort home from campus police or security
  6. Avoid dark streets and back roads
  7. Adjust your study habits to avoid being alone late at night around campus

If you were the victim of a rape or sexual assault, or if your loved one has experienced something traumatic of that nature, you may be entitled to compensation. Contact the Atlanta premises liability attorneys at the Law Offices of Gary Martin Hays & Associates by emailing us or calling right now - 1-800-898-HAYS.